Friday, May 1, 2009

Making decisions about my products

I'm still trying to work out all of the ins and outs of this business. The best advice that I was given was to carry the best hot dogs and name brand chips/drinks. The other advice was to make sure my cart is always clean and shiny....people won't buy from a dirty cart!

Finding the best hot dog has not been easy, but I think we found a winner......



This comes from the advice of a friend that was selling them at 5th and Congress in Downtown Austin. He was making good money on the weekends, but alas found a really good job and isn't vending anymore. His suggestion is to sell Chicago style hot dogs. There are a couple of places in Austin doing that now, but most just serve a regular mustard and onion dog. His other suggestion is to go "full service" for the hot dogs.....which if you sell Chicago style, you pretty much have to. How many of people do you know can make a Chicago Style dog?

Another item that "makes" your hot dogs are the buns. I can order frozen buns and then steam them or buy fresh. I am choosing to buy them fresh from:



I spoke to the owner and he is going to custom make the buns to match my hot dogs. The hard choice is what kind to make. I know we have to make poppy seed buns for the Chicago dogs, but still figuring out what to have for the bratwurst.

Another suggestion was to carry name brand drinks. I am planning on carrying Coke, Diet Coke, Dr Pepper, Sprite, Root Beer, and Orange soda. We are also thinking of carrying homemade lemonade and "sun" tea. I think that should cover pretty much all tastes.....I hope.

The other items are still being considered. I still have to pick out chips, pickles, and condiments. I think we have our mustard picked out, but everything else is pretty much up in the air.

The only thing I don't have to pick at this point is my cart......I bought one from my new friend David. He has decided to become a tattoo artist because Killeen is pretty much wrapped up by the same hot dog vending company. I got a really good deal on it and David was VERY excited to pass on his cart and knowledge. I owe a huge thanks to him for helping me kick start my business.

We are still hoping to be up and running by the second week in June. I have more work than I thought, but we should be full steam ahead after Mother's Day.....still have to deliver flowers for my wife's shop ( www.yourmainflorist.com). If you need flowers, let us know.

No comments:

Post a Comment