Sunday, January 24, 2010

Long awaited update.

 

Haven’t posted in a while.  Mostly because we were closed for a while because of the cold weather.  I had decided to stay closed because it was just way too cold for me to be on the sidewalk or inside.  If we had the heat working in the building, then that would be a different story.  I could use the fireplace, but decided to just stay closed….and found out that downtown wasn’t busy at all during that time.

We are not going to New Orleans for the food festival.  I made the decision to stay here and work on the business.  I got a lot of advice from other people and it was about 80% in favor of skipping the event.  In the long run, it will be a much better decision.  We are hoping to go in 2011, but will have to wait and see.

Was closed on Saturday to attend an equipment auction and have a business meeting.  We didn’t end up winning any of the equipment, but it was only items we wanted and not needed.  I really wanted this steam table that we bid on, but people at that auction were paying retail prices for those items.  Not sure if they just don’t know prices, or just don’t care.  Good luck to them, I’m sure we will see that item back at an auction later this year.

Had an initial meeting with a future business partner.  Will have another meeting with that person and another partner.  Now why would my little hot dog cart need business partners?  Well, it doesn’t….but to ever build the business beyond my current location, it will take a team to accomplish.  Nothing has been decided and plans are only just beginning.  I hope to have more info soon, but am keeping things to myself until we know for sure. 

Shut down the webcam for now.  Since I am working on these other business plans, I just don’t have time for it.  If things change, I will put it up.  I liked having it up because people got to see how we operate. 

Will be offering some test items in the next few weeks.  Trying out some different things that might not even be available at this location.  I chose our kitchen as the test kitchen because I can control the process and get immediate feedback.  Some items we might decide to carry on the cart, will just have to wait and see.

I have noticed that our rush in now from 2pm to 3pm.  I think it is a little odd, but will take it.  It definitely beats sitting around for 4 hours and not doing anything.  I think we are getting people who ate an early lunch and don’t plan on having dinner till much later.   Will need to figure out how to get the lunch people in and we should be set.

Increased the outdoor seating during good weather.  We now have our 2 little bistro sets and a tall pub table with 3 barstools.  I plan on getting another tall table and more barstools, because now no one sits on anything else.  Go figure.

I am needing to be busy this week.  Please come by and see us.  We should be open all week, unless the weather turns off really bad.

Will try to update the blog this week.  I am in favor of doing a video blog, but will just need to find the time.  I can record during business hours, but have to find any time to edit the video.  I always have lots more to say, but it never really gets across when I type it.  If anyone knows of a good video editor, please let me know.

Everyone have a great week and go buy a hot dog…even if it isn’t from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment